Saturday, September 15, 2012

Done.....

One of my goals this past week was to get the garage cleaned up enough to allow me to work in it there.
Uncovered the work bench in the back.  Still need to figure out how I want to lay everything out but it is usable now.
First project in the new shop is re-finishing a bamboo outdoor table with the Spar varnish that I didn't use on the doors.
Last night I got the trim out the outside of the door frame and all of the door stops and trim on the inside.
Yes, I did mortise the trim to fit over the flange of the catch plate....
Today, after hauling the old door to the recyling center it was time to get the doors finished off.  First order of business was to glue the 1/2" foam insulation into the panels and then glue/brad nail the cedar paneling over that.  Here one of the doors is complete and finished.
Second door done and ready for some finish. Luckily the local lumber store was still open since I needed another can.
All finished and ready.  I ended up using a product called Superdeck in the natural color to really let the natural wood show through.  After spending way too much time reading about different finishes I went with this one since it didn't have any pigment and did not form a film that could peal off.  I am very pleased with the results and it was easy to work with.  We will see how well it holds up to the CO sun. 
Here is the before shot for comparison, I had a pretty low bar to improve the aesthetics or functionality.
The inside with the trim in place and stained.  I am very glad that I decided to go with the nicer, furniture grade plywood.
In context.  Now I feel like I need to do something about the concrete retaining wall...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment