Saturday, April 13, 2013

The thrill of picking the next project...aka things I hate even more than painting.

...and the reality of what's on the list.

I managed an hour or so in the shop the other night to get things cleaned up and put away after the frenzy of finishing on the Whiskey cabinet.  I decided to sort through the current lumber stash and take a look.  Hopefully having it all laid out will help in the inspiration department when it comes time to decide what to work on next.

But first...there are some house projects that have been ignored for long enough.


Today I spent more time than I would like to admit installing a new faucet set on our bathroom sink. Out with the nasty old brass fixture and in with the nice new Oil Rubbed Bronze one.  It turns out there is something I hate more than painting....plumbing. It is nice to have that out of the way and with all new drain parts the sink works much better.  

On a side note, the towel holder in that picture is really great.  The leaf is cut (plasma?) from steel and has a very unique look.  It is from an artisan back in VT that my parents sent us awhile back.   Payne Junker Studio

Another project that needs to happen soon is refinishing out dining room table.


As you can see it, the finish has seen better days.  I think I may be able to get away with just stripping the top surface and refinishing that...we will see.  

Some other, more fun, projects on the list are some picture frames from the curly maple and walnut in my stash.  I am thinking about going for something like this.


There is also a step stool in my future.  I have been playing around with a couple design. Below are some photos that I am using for inspiration and the models I have been playing with.



A little bit shorter with walnut legs and a cherry top.


This design has gotten a better reception around here.  I like it's simplicity.  Can't seem to find the original source on this one.


This is a take on the above stool.  Walnut top and legs with maple stretchers dovetailed into the legs.  I think the taper on the legs is a bit excessive but overall I like where this design is headed.

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions on these stool designs.  I've still got a ways to go.









No comments:

Post a Comment