Saturday, January 19, 2013

Time for a workbench.

For quite some time I have been thinking about building some sort of work-bench that would be more stable the table's I currently have, particularly for hand work.  My parents got me the hardware to build a vise for christmas which was the prodding I needed to actually make it happen.

The legs and short stretchers are 4x6 douglas fir timbers that are  joined with mortis and tenon. These are the only joints I have glued as I want to be able to re-configure the bench as better I understand what my needs are.

One leg assembly dry fit.

Shop with the parts in process on my temporary bench.  I think this shop layout is the 5-6th one in the last 6 months.

And here is the bench with the vise installed.  I still need to  find a better way to secure the leg assemblies to the top, I think I'm going to try some carriage bolts.  The top is two layers of MDF with a gap down the center that I have filled with a strip that can be used for holding tools, or flipped to act as a planing stop.  If I remove the filler strip I can clamp through the center of the bench which has already come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment