Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Window Seat is under way..

After agonizing over minute details for way too long....the window seat is finally making its way into the construction phase.
First up was to disassemble the old bench seat and remove the nasty old trim.  The Walls are surprisingly plumb and there is only a minor (anything less than 1/2" is minor in this old house) dip in the floor on the right. Nothing a few shims won't be able to handle.

Next up was some electrical work to deal with the outlet that was inconveniently placed where the window seat is going.  Seemed like a good time to put in a proper electrical box for the place of the board the previous outlet was mounted in???

Also ran some wire along the base of the wall behind where the window seat boxes will be to feed a new outlet on the right hand side.

New outlet installed....all it took was a 16" drill bit to make it through the mess of studs that make up that corner.

Finally on to something a bit less messy,  a pile of 3/4" AC pine plywood for the cabinet boxes that will make up the base of the window seat.

Drilling pocket holes to assembly the box.  After everything is test fit I plan to tear it down and re-assemble with  glue  to make sure it never goes anywhere.

First seat box done. This one and its mate will box have large  filing cabinet drawers for hanging folders.

Testing out the height with a scrap of foam...looking good.

This is the wood that will be used for the tops of the end cabinets, Ambrosia maple.  Also known as wormy maple, it has holes from the Ambrosia beetle larve and blue stain from the fungus that it introduces.  Really interesting wood.

Another view of the Ambrosia maple.

Knotty Alder for the face frame and panel frames.  I think this will end up being stained to be a bit darker than the maple to give a little more contrast.

The latest addition to the shop.  A mobile miter saw stand/workbench with lumber storage underneath, sheet-good storage behind and the router table mounted to the end.  With just a shade over 200 Sq ft...I've got to be efficient.

The shop....It has already been re-arranged since this picture. 

Another side project, I got an old Dunlop plane from a co-worker .  Hopefully with a bit of cleaning and sharpening it will be functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment