Monday, September 21, 2015

8 Month Side Tables

I've finally given up thinking I'm going to actually "catch up" on the last 8, 9?, months.  So instead I'll just go pick up more recently and try to go from there.


Last winter, around christmas, I started building a pair of side tables to go with the TV stand. Throw in a ski trip to Japan, a wife with a broken leg and everything that goes with recovering from that and I was pretty happy to get these wrapped up this summer.


The basic frames went together quickly using dominos.


The shelf panels were sized and rabbeted to fit into the rails.




The tops are from a 14" wide walnut board that I picked up a few years back.  I added a bevel to the underside of the top edges to lighten the look a bit.


I'm pleased with the final result. One curly cherry board was used for the two outside faces and the drawer fronts.  


As with the TV stand the drawers are a simple dowel reinforced rabbet which I really quite like the look of.


They are finished with a couple coats of seal coat shellac which was sprayed on.  HVLP and shellac is a brilliant combo for getting a quick, beautiful finish.


Hopefully it won't be another 8 months before I post again, and maybe I'll even get around to finally posting pictures from the first half of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment